Squash Farrotto with Swiss Chard
Recipe by West of the Loop
- 1 butternut squash
- 3 TB extra-virgin olive oil (plus more for drizzling)
- 1 yellow onion, diced
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- Pinch red pepper flakes
- 2 quarts chicken broth, vegetable broth or water
- 1 package Village Harvest Farro Perlato
- 2/3 cup dry white wine
- 1 bunch Swiss chard, washed, stems removed and sliced into ribbons
- 1/2 cup grated Parmesan (plus more for garnish)
- Salt and pepper to taste
- Preheat oven to 400.
- Peel the squash, remove the seeds and cut into 1-inch pieces.
- Line a baking sheet with foil and toss the squash pieces with 1 TB of the olive oil. Season well with salt and pepper.
- Roast squash until tender, 20-30 minutes.
- Puree squash in a food processor or high-speed blender. Set aside. (May be done in advance.)
- Heat the remaining olive oil in a large, deep skillet or sauté pan.
- Add the onion and sauté over medium heat until translucent, about five minutes.
- Meanwhile, heat the broth or water in a medium saucepan to a gentle simmer.
- Add the garlic to the pan with the onion and sauté for a few additional minutes. Season with salt, pepper and the red pepper flakes.
- Add the farro to the pan with the onion and garlic and toss to coat with the oil. Toast the farro grains until slightly darkened, about five minutes.
- Add the white wine, turn the heat to high and bring to a boil. Turn the heat down to medium and allow the wine to bubble away.
- When the wine is almost evaporated, add one cup of the warm broth or water and stir to combine. Continue stirring until the liquid has almost evaporated and then add a half-cup of liquid.
- Repeat this process, stirring the farro and adding liquid in half-cup increments, until the farro is tender and the liquid almost gone, about 45 minutes.
- When the farro is tender, add the squash puree and stir to combine.
- Add the chopped Swiss chard and heat just until the greens are wilted, about four minutes. (Add additional broth if the farrotto is too thick.)
- Sprinkle on the Parmesan and drizzle with a fruity olive oil. Serve right away.