Slow-Cooker Pumpkin Risotto
Recipe from EatingRules.com
- 2 tablespoons olive oil
- 2 teaspoons dried sage
- 1 tablespoon crushed garlic
- ½ cup chopped onion
- 1-1/2 cups Arborio rice
- 4 cups vegetable broth (or water)
- 2 teaspoons salt
- 1 teaspoon pepper
- 2 cups roasted pumpkin (see note)
- In a medium-sized pot, cook the olive oil, sage, garlic and onion over medium heat, until the onion softens, about 4-5 minutes.
- Stir in the Arborio rice, and cook for an additional 2-3 minutes. Transfer the rice to a lightly greased slow cooker, and stir in the vegetable broth, salt and pepper.
- Cover the slow cooker pot, and cook on high for 1.5 hours, until the rice is tender. Stir in the roasted pumpkin (or puree, if using), and taste. Add salt and pepper, if necessary, and enjoy!
To make the roasted pumpkin, cut a sugar pumpkin in half, and scoop out the seeds with a spoon. Drizzle the pumpkin halves with 1 tablespoon olive oil, and sprinkle with salt, pepper, and 1 teaspoon dried sage. Roast at 350° for 80-90 minutes, or until fork-tender. Once roasted, remove the pumpkin from the oven, and let cool. Once cooled, remove the outer skin, and use a fork to cut the roasted pumpkin into chunks.