Red Quinoa and Butternut Squash Salad
Recipe by A Dish of Daily Life
- 1 cup Village Harvest Red Quinoa, prepared according to package directions
- 1 heaping cup spinach, cut into ribbons
- 1 heaping cup roasted butternut squash
- 1 cup feta cheese, crumbled
- ½ cup pine nuts, toasted
- 1 teaspoon orange zest
- 2 teaspoons honey
- 1 teaspoon dijon mustard
- liberal grinding of sea salt
- ½ cup orange juice (freshly squeezed is best)
- ¼ cup + 2 tablespoons of extra virgin olive oil
- Prepare red quinoa according to package directions.
- Peel and cube a small butternut squash, toss with a couple tablespoons of olive oil, and roast for about a half hour until fork tender, at 450 degrees. (I did have extra butternut squash cubes, which I saved to use in another dish)
- Cut spinach into ribbons.
- Toast pine nuts.
- Wait for quinoa and butternut squash to cool before assembling the salad.
- Mix together quinoa, butternut squash, spinach, feta and pine nuts.
- Toss with orange vinaigrette. Add slowly…you may have extra depending on how light or heavy you like your salad dressed.
- Whisk together the orange zest, honey, dijon mustard, salt.
- Add the orange juice and whisk together again.
- Continue to whisk, and add the olive oil slowly.