Roasted Beet and Black Rice Kale Salad
- 2 large beets
- 1 cup uncooked Village Harvest Black Rice
- 4 cups chopped raw kale
- ¼ red onion, thinly sliced
- ¼ cup crumbled feta (omit for vegan)
- ¼ cup chopped walnuts, toasted
- 4 tablespoons extra virgin olive oil
- 3 tablespoons apple cider vinegar
- 2 tablespoon brown mustard
- 2 cloves garlic, minced
- 1 tablespoon dried Italian seasoning
- ½ teaspoon salt
- ½ teaspoon pepper
- Preheat oven to 400° F. Remove leaves, cutting into main part of beet. Rinse and half beets, then wrap in foil. Roast on a baking sheet for at 40 minutes or until tender. Remove from foil and allow to cool, chop into cubes and set aside.
- Meanwhile: In a medium pan, heat 1 ¾ cups water, 1 cup Village Harvest Black Rice and salt to taste on high until boiling. Reduce heat to low, cover and simmer 30 minutes. Remove from heat and let cool.
- In a large bowl toss kale, roasted beets, cooked rice, red onion, feta and walnuts.
- To make vinaigrette: Whisk together remaining ingredients from olive oil to pepper until well combined. Pour over salad and toss to evenly coat.