First cultivated in 9000 B.C., farro has twice the protein and fiber as modern wheat. In addition to being nutritious, it’s a delicious staple in many authentic Italian kitchens. Used in soups, salads, stews, and often cooked just like risotto, Village Harvest Farro is certain to please every healthy appetite at your table.
- Stir 1 cup Village Harvest Farro into a 5 quart pot of salted boiling water.
- Simmer and cook about 20 minutes, until tender. Strain out excess water.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.
To prepare in a rice cooker, use same water to grain ratio.
FARRO PERLATO FACTS
- A very high level of fiber in farro makes it heart-healthy and good for digestion
- Farro has been cultivated in Italy for centuries
- Farro originated in the Fertile Crescent, where it has been found in the tombs of Egyptian kings and is said to have fed the Roman Legions.
- It’s pronounced FAHR-oh
Find where to buy farro here