First cultivated in 9000 B.C., farro has twice the protein and fiber as modern wheat. In addition to being nutritious, it’s a delicious staple in many authentic Italian kitchens. Used in soups, salads, stews, and often cooked just like risotto, our farro is certain to please every healthy appetite at your table.
- Stir 1 cup Village Harvest Farro into a 5 quart pot of salted boiling water.
- Simmer and cook about 20 minutes, until tender. Strain out excess water.
- Remove from heat and allow to stand for 5 minutes. Fluff with fork and serve.
To prepare in a rice cooker, use same water to grain ratio.
FARRO PERLATO FACTS
- A very high level of fiber in farro makes it heart-healthy and good for digestion
- Farro has been cultivated in Italy for centuries
- Farro originated in the Fertile Crescent, where it has been found in the tombs of Egyptian kings and is said to have fed the Roman Legions.
- It’s prpronounced FAHR-oh
Find where to buy farro here